Saturday, January 17, 2009

How Do We Measure One’s Success?


I attended a parenting seminar this morning (January 17). Yes, it was a parenting seminar. I attended it on behalf of my older sister who needs to go to work. It was a program in my niece’s school that during card distribution, the parents needs to attend this seminar before the release of the report cards. And since my sister had an emergency work, I volunteered myself to get it. (I am the official nanny of my niece since January 15, my last day at work.)

The topic of the seminar was “How do we measure one’s success?” Wow! It was really thoughtful of them to have a seminar “made” for me. Harhar!

I thought that that will be a boring one. I was dead wrong! I came home thinking about what the speaker said. Do we measure a person’s success by the home he lives in? Or by the car he drives? Maybe we should measure it by the amount of money one has on the bank? Or the places he goes to?

The answer is NO. There are people who possess these things and yet they are not able to sleep at night. There are those whose riches are unimaginable but they feel empty inside. There are those who seem to be very happy and yet, when they are alone, tears are falling from their eyes.

So, how do we measure one’s success? The answer lies deep within us. Even though we do not have so much of the material things, for as long as we enjoy the things that we do…for as long as we are thankful for all the blessings that we have…for as long as we wake up with a smile in our faces…then you we successful. It’s all in the CHARACTER that we build overtime.

Am I successful? Not yet. But I am determined to be one, in time.

No comments:

Post a Comment